Wednesday, October 26, 2011

CAVEAT EMPTOR: EXPIRED CHOCOLATE



Yesterday I popped around Megamall Supermarket to buy some carrots and apples for my apple-carrot juice. At the same time, I bought extra knickknacks. I saw on the label of a shelf a chocolate that costs fifty pesos something only. So I added in my basket two boxes of Mayfair Dutch Treat. I didn't bother to check the receipt.


Just today while I'm checking the stuff I bought yesterday, something bothered me. When I saw the back of the box, it says BEST BEFORE 08092011. I checked the other box and it says the same thing. 

It does not matter anymore the date format of the expiration date. If 08092011 stands for August 09, 2011 or 8th of September 2011, the fact that today is already October 26, 2011, something is wrong. 

I checked the receipt and I've just realized the correct price of the chocolate. Well, I could be wrong yesterday when I saw the cheap price of the chocolate. It could be the other item beside it. 

But what fretted me is the expiration. So I called the phone number indicated on the receipt. I called 633-5026 but no one was answering. I called the other number 633-5027 and after a few minutes, a lady answered my call.

I gave her the date format indicated at the back of the box 08092011. She was not even sure whether the date comes first before the month for imported good or the other way. But I said, "it doesn't matter anymore because today is already October." She advised me to go to Customer Service of Supermarket tomorrow to check.

The bottom line here is: why does a big supermarket (SM Supermarket) has not made necessary precautions on their merchandise? Should I failed to check the box (though I failed to check it while doing my shopping) and give the chocolates to somebody, then I could be blame for the worst scenario.







































1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There's nothing wrong with the price. You said the label on the shelf was "fifty pesos something only."
The price on the receipt is P51.50 each.
You bought two, so that's P103.00.