Monday, October 8, 2012

JVM ERROR 517 ON BLACKBERRY PHONE




On Saturday morning, October 06, I charged my Blackberry 9300 before I left for grocery. I have one or two battery bars on that time so I decided to recharge it.

After an hour, I headed upstairs of our home to check if my phone is fully charged. I was surprised to see the white screen and the words that say “JVM Error 517” and below this message is the word that says “Reset”. I clicked on the word “Reset” and my phone turned off and turned on. I waited my phone to finish the reboot. But for my surprise, nothing happened. It was the same white screen and the same message on the screen. I did a hard reset by taking off the battery including my SIM but lo and behold nothing happened. I called SUN Cellular CS to where I am subscribed the post paid line of my Blackberry. But the agent has no idea on how to fix the issue. He referred me to business center to check my phone.

In the afternoon, I went to SUN shop at Shangri-La Mall. Well, the staff there could neither help on how to fix my phone. She just told me they could do a software upgrade or to wipe out the contents of my phone. The lady is not that technical so she was asking from her colleagues. It was so unfortunate that they don’t have available technician on that time. She told me that I might leave my phone in their shop. I already decided to leave my phone because I badly need it but then the lady told me that I have an option to do the software update on my own using the Desktop Software Manager. The story ended when I decided to fix it by my own because the lady could not even tell me how long it would take to fix my phone by their technician. She even mentioned that if they can’t fix it, they may refer me to Microwarehouse for further technical help. But the worse scenario is that it may take weeks and even months for repair from their shop to Microwarehouse. I may opt to personally go to that service repair as the staff suggested for immediate action.

So at home, I tried to determine what the issue of my phone was. I checked some information on the web and one thing is to use the Apploader. Well, I got the few steps but then when I came nearer to the last steps, I couldn’t get the information that should reflect in the wizard.  

Then I tried to use the Desktop Software Manager itself. At first, it could not detect my phone. When it prompted me to do a “Repair”, I did try it. It processed to do the “repair” and it was done, it says that there is no available update. Huh?

I was desperate and I gave up. I’ll just wait for Monday and head on to Microwarehouse by myself.


According to blackberryforums.com.au, the possible cause of JVM Error 517 is that the file system on the Blackberry device has become corrupted.

According to btsc.webapps.blackberry.com which has more detailed information of the issue, JVM Errors are raised by the BlackBerry Device Software during various activities to make the BlackBerry smartphone user aware of a failure in which the BlackBerry smartphone could not safely recover normal operation. Although JVM errors may occur as a result of software related issues only, JVM Error 517 is known to occur due to interactions with the BlackBerry smartphone hardware:

JVM Error 517: The BlackBerry Device Software encountered unexpected data in a memory location which is used for normal operations


Yesterday, I planned to go back at SUN shop to fix my phone because I told them that in case I can’t fix it, I’ll go back to them. But since I don’t have that confidence that they can manage to fix my phone, I decided that I’ll just go to Microwarehouse.

You may wonder if Blackberry has indeed a service center here in the Philippines. Indeed, YES. Just after my morning shift today, I headed on to Kapitolyo Pasig. I'm working just along One San Miguel Ave so it was very convenient for me. I was with my officemate and we learnt that there were other customers claiming their Blackberry after repair and others were getting their replacement. Well, we learnt that if they can no longer fix it and as long as still the warranty period, you can have a replacement provided they have stocks. 

What they did on my phone was to update the software. It was so unfortunate that they can no longer back-up the contents of my phone (actually I'm more worried of my BBM contacts). The repair did not take an hour to resolve the issue. Maybe in just 30 minutes, my phone was fixed. 


iFix Microwarehouse is located at 4 United St., Brgy. Kapitolyo Pasig City Philippines 1600.   The office is near ACE Water Spa Pasig and just in front of PEPSI Cola.

No comments: