Thursday, June 30, 2011

SORE THROAT PART II









It was in February when I had my last check-up with my ENT doctor in St. Luke's. This was still in relation to my sore throat that took more than a month. I had throat swab. The test showed the microorganisms present in my throat and the antibiotics that they are sensitive or they can resist.

Well, to sum up, my doctor said that everything was fine. I had nothing to worry. Though there are microorganisms present in my throat. They are normal, the doctor said.

Months have passed. Sometimes I could feel that there's something inside my throat that bothers me. I could feel hoarseness, as if there's something rough in my throat that goes down and up. I also noticed that my tonsils are not normal in size. And actually, my left tonsil is larger than my right tonsil.

Until one day this June. I felt some pain in my throat. When I checked my mouth, I saw that my tonsils were swollen. I was then bothered when I saw some white pus. The following day, when I checked again, I saw some scratches on my tonsil. 

I seek for the advice of our company physician, like what I always did when I had it on the first time. She told me to take clarithromycin twice a day within five days. Later, I realized that I have flu. Some fever, colds and cough. I came to the conclusion that the reason why I had the sore throat was because of the flu.

Before I could actually consume the drugs, I noticed that my throat was feeling better. 

Nevertheless, just a week after, I felt some pain again in my throat. I saw some white pus again on my left tonsil. I felt anxious for myself. 

I took personal medication. I took clarithromycin twice a day within five days. However, five days have passed and yet I was still feeling some hoarseness in my throat. 

So I decided to go back to the doctor. She told me that my tonsils were indeed swollen. I asked her if she could refer me to ENT for check-up. She also informed me of possible removal of my tonsils. 

Eer! That's an operation.

On June 29, I went to St. Lukes. They referred me to a different ENT. 

The doctor explained to me the importance of the tonsils and when they become useless.

At the young age, tonsils are important because they produce cells that protect us from infections. However, at the age of eight, lymph nodes started to grow that replace the job of the tonsils. At the same age, tonsils should start to shrink and become useless.

As we intake different foods and anything in our mouth, tonsils become the best breeding place for organisms to grow. Considering that mouth is the dirtiest part of the body. 

There are three scenarios that could lead to tonsillectomy or the removal of tonsils. As for my case, recurrent tonsillitis and enlarged tonsils are the causes why I need to undergo the operation, Dr. Jurilla said. He added that in the level of one to four of tonsils enlargement, my case is already three.

In case that tonsillitis is recurrent, complications could lead to rheumatic heart disease or kidney failure. Rationale: there are veins from the tonsils which are connected to the heart and kidney.

The doctor already scheduled me for the operation on July 16th. 

I'm not yet decided for the operation because I was thinking for the cost. St. Luke's is not an ordinary hospital. It's one of the expensive hospital. 

The next day, I went to our company doctor. I told her that I was scheduled for an operation. I asked her if I could go to other hospital which is cheaper than St. Luke's. 

So she referred me to Humana. I need to ask for an LOA, she said.

When I was in Humana, the ENT doctor re-examined me. I was surprised that he informed me that I am pretty good. That I have nothing to worry.

In contrast to Dr. Jurilla, Dr. Vincent Luzod (if I got his name correct), told me that in the range of one to four tonsil enlargement, my case is only two. He added that the operation for my case is not necessary not unless I want to. 

With Dr. Vincent's statement, I was vindicated. I decided not to undergo the operation.

As per him, the operation is recommended on the following: having three tonsillitis within a year in three consecutive years; having five tonsillitis within a year in two consecutive years; and/or having seven tonsillitis within a year.

As of press time, I'm doing fine. The hoarseness I was feeling since this week has gone. Hoping for the best.


No comments: